Friday, December 9, 2011

Out of order isn't code for "hangover," I swear

I'm sure I'm not alone in having a nutty schedule as the holidays approach. The day job in marketing/PR requires me to attend a lot of social functions this time of year, which seems like a recipe for a month-long hangover.

Except that I just got hit with the head-cold from hell, so even expensive wine tastes like Nyquil now. I'm not in the mood to imbibe, and I'm sad to admit all the fancy appetizers people keep foisting on me taste like cardboard.

All that would be fine, except my realtor just called about showing the house this weekend, and I'm wondering if I can pass off cat fur and dirty dishes as the hot new decorator touches of the season. I don't have time to clean, because I just got my editor's revision notes for Mad Crush, plus there's work to be done for the any-minute-now release of my new interactive fiction title, Getting Dumped, and a book club meeting to attend and...

Wait. Why are you all playing those little violins?

No, I would not like cheese with my whine. I want to crawl into bed and hide there for a whole weekend. Maybe a week, if I can persuade someone naked to join me.

Sorry, guys. I've got nothing amusing for you today. Unless my brain actually does explode, in which case I promise to post pictures of the carnage.

For now, take care of yourselves, and promise you'll drink my share of the wine, OK?

13 comments :

Anonymous said...

You're definitely not alone in the being-busy-this-holiday-season department. I'm so busy that I don't have time for the internet at all. Taking a break till January.

You should take a break too. Hope you feel better soon!

Rachel said...

I hope you feel better soon, just tell the realtor that your giving prospective buyers a feel of what the house will feel like when they move in, you know lived in rather than show room.

Taymalin said...

Ugh. I hate getting sick, especially when my schedule is nutty. Of course, I only ever seem to get sick when my schedule is nutty. It's some unwritten law of the universe--if ye be busy, ye shall be ill.

Feel better. Neocitran (sp?) was my hero a couple of weeks ago when I got sick. Get as much rest as you can, and drink lots of fluids.

Loralie Hall said...

So sorry you're under the weather. Not that there's a good time to be sick, but this sounds like a very bad time. Take care of yourself, enjoy the wonders of cold medication instead of wine, and feel better soon ^_^

Sarah W said...

I have my one and only Christmas party tonight---dinner with my department at our favorite steak joint.

Which is why it just snowed three inches. It's traditional.

Keep on keeping on, Tawna!

Fel. said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! I can completely sympathize as I have been fighting off a rather enthusiastic cold for the last three weeks.

Hopefully you can find some moments of rest and quiet in amongst all your craziness.

Drink lots of tea too. My family swears by it.

TAWNA FENSKE said...

Suz, I might look into taking a break at some point, but with the Coliloquy thing set to launch any minute now, this isn't the best time for me to abandon my blog! :)

Rachel, I would kinda like to see the realtor's face if she showed up to find dirty socks on the floor and pets lounging on every available surface licking themselves.

Taymalin, thanks! I'll have to look into Neocitran, but there's a good chance I'm allergic. You know that scene where Juli gets loopy on motion sickness meds in MAKING WAVES? That's from my own experiences being very violently allergic to any drug with an -ine at the end (which is most cold meds). Ugh.

Loralie, I can't figure out if wearing my body down is what caused me to get sick in the first place, or if it's just dumb timing. Either way, no fun!

Sarah W, mmm....steak. That sounds tasty.

Fel, I do love tea, so I can handle that. Thanks!

Tawna

Matthew MacNish said...

Only you could write a blog post about not being able to write a blog post, and make it this funny.

Feel better.

John Ross Barnes said...

Likewise, hope you feel better soon.

Have often thought if someone could develop a training system (and appropriate appliances) to get pets to clean up after themselves, well I'm sure the fortune to be made would not be a small one.

Take care,
John

Michelle Miller said...

I've got an extra big glass of pinot here. I'm dedicating half of it to you. I'd give you your own glass, but sadly the bottle is empty.

Feel better soon.

widdershins said...

Psuedoephedrin is a girls best friend when she needs to be 'on'. Does not, sadly, go with alcohol though... *le sigh*

Taymalin said...

Have you found any natural remedies Tawna? Tea and lemon makes a sore throat feel better, and as gross as it is so does gargling with salt water.

I don't know many for congestion though, which if you have a head cold is probably your biggest enemy. A shot or two of rum, preferably spiced, always helps me out ;)

Jessica Lemmon said...

Just got over a bout of the crud myself. Feel better, Tawna!